Sunday, June 29, 2008

Busy times clear the fog

This morning I seemed to be a step behind even after my morning ritual. I was a moment behind the moment and didn't feel like dealing with the incoming customers.

Breathe.
Let it go.

Be present and open to the experience, these are good people Hill.

It's funny how you can psyche yourself into believing anything... there wasn't anything too terrible at dealing with people twenty minutes after we opened, but I was telling myself that I wasn't ready...

After being put there on the spot to deal with a family of four, I knew that I was ready. It wasn't as bad as I was making it out to be... then all of the sudden, the energy shift was swinging wildy in a positive way.

Katie came in. She's a friend of mine who's been studying how to make jewelry. She uses a torch in her studio, I think that's pretty sweet. We were just talking, reminiscing. Mainly it seemed as though she were just watching me interact with the public... She was content in just watching away.

She must have been there the whole time this energy wave was occurring. That must have been at least three hours. Three hours of non-stop free flowin' energy. The first couple of hours we were all riding the wave of love and caffeine. The last hour it seemed like I was on my last leg. Many people were asking me three questions at once, a bit much sometimes.

We started off with Queen Catherine, a blend of three Chinese black teas.
Queen Catherine: Tippy Yunnan, Keemun Mao Feng, Panyang Congou.

The Queen will never let you down, she's reliable... always so steady, so solid. Everyone enjoyed her, she's a good time.

I then proceeded to make some Golden Monkey from the Fujian province. Sometimes I joke around and say that golden monkeys actually pick this tea from fourteen thousand feet up in the Fujian mountains.

I'll occasionally get a snicker, or someone will actually believe me. I am great at saying baloney with a straight face.

Golden Monkey: Chinese black tea with golden tips (tip of the bud of the tea plant)
It's a really interesting tea... sweet, a little smokey, a little malty... It definitely gives off a honey quality.

We just got in this year's Golden Monkey, so good times, good times.

My friend Matt came in. He's a great friend and also my new neighbor. He normally comes in every Sunday to get loaded up on some Yerba Mate and peppermint.

We've officialized the Yerba Mint special, just so you all know... it's pre-blended and has its own big tin for people to taste from...

Matt and Katie started hitting it off and talking it up. A couple of people with refills came in. People refill their four ounce or eight ounce tins with whatever tea they want and get a ten percent discount. Environmentally conscious and just a good thing to do, nice to get a discount especially at the rate gas is going up.

TWO BLACK CURRANT REFILLS? Bring 'em up.
There was no way I could possibly read her tins, I knew what she wanted. She's a regular. Probably comes in once a month to get her refills.

It's such a good feeling to know what your customers want. Then everyone else who's in the room is like, "Whoa this guy knows what he's doing..."

I felt BOSS. You know? I hooked up her two black currants right when she entered the room. She knew that I knew what she wanted.

Then my man with the organic earl grey refill came in.

ORGANIC EARL GREY REFILL? Come on up my man!!
His wife usually comes in to do this but she's four months pregnant, so he's got to run around and do those chores. Good for him!

We were still riding the energy wave...

Puttabong was our next moment.
Puttabong: First flush darjeeling, first picking of the season Darjeeling, distinct from second flush Darjeelings and Darjeeling blends... First flushes tend to have a greener quality, more of a bright Darjeeling pucker and then a drop. You don't want the drop to be too sudden because then you're disappointed, it needs to be a mellow ride through your mouth. Green, astringent, fresh puckery taste, and very light body. Totally yum.

Samantha came in with a 102 degree fever. She wasn't feeling too well. We made her some Relaxing tea, which follows the Ayurvedic holistic healing thing-a-majig.

She dug it.

Mary and Kate came in. Every week they come up from the city to stay at their house in Lakeville. They are some of the most wonderful people ever.

Mary has these beautiful curls, glasses, and just this magnificent smile. She's always so happy to see me and I'm so happy to see her.

They've been coming up the past couple of years. Her daughter Kate has made me two t-shirts, using the silk-screen process. She makes them with small hanes shirts too, which means that my skinny muscles can come out and I can show off what my mama gave me...

And the wave continued... more customers, more demands... great day.

No comments: